Frequently asked questions
Busking is so cool right now! And the Australian National Busking Championships™ is growing throughout the States of Australia with over 9 Regional Competitions planned for 2017.
- Anyone can be a busker – Beginners to professionals
- Lots of prizes to go around – Over $4500 in prizes up for grabs! Multiple prizes for different age categories, best band, and special judges awards.
- All genres of music welcome – from country to blues, from folk to classical
- Singers and instrumentalists welcome.
- Non-musical street entertainers welcome
- Solos, Duos, Trios and larger ensembles and choirs welcome.
- All cash tips you make on the day are yours to keep
- Sell your CDs and merchandise
- Enjoy the attention and encouragement of large numbers of happy people – they are there to enjoy the busking festival and your music.
- Last but not least – it’s so much Fun!
How are buskers judged?
The judging criteria are basically:
- Skill – how well you know your craft.
- Connection with the audience – communication
- Audience response- the “wow factor”
Can buskers make money during the competition?
There are over $4500 in prizes up for grabs, plus we are happy for buskers to sell their CDs and merchandise, and you can make lots of tips! Real money. We want all the buskers to have a profitable day.
Visitors and spectators will be able to purchase Busker Dollars for $1 each on the day. (Limit of 50 per customer). They give their Busker Dollars to the buskers they like, and this is tallied up at the end of the day for the Peoples Choice Award.
What are Busker Dollars?
People will be able to purchase Busker Dollars for $1 each on the day. (Limit of 50 per customer). They must validate their Busker Dollars by writing their name and phone number on the back of their Busker Dollar. At the end of the day, all of the Busker Dollars will be placed in a lucky draw. There will be great prizes for the persons named on the Busker Dollars that are drawn. The busker/s with the most Busker Dollars receive the Peoples Choice Award.
What are the Benefits to Music Teachers, Schools and Music Organisations
- The busking championships is a great motivator for students
- A fun goal to aim towards
- Building repertoire – buskers need to perfect at least 30 minutes of solid playing
- Puts music on a bigger stage in your community – lifting its profile.
- Builds interest in music
- Keeps students interested and engaged
- Attracts more people into studying and being involved in music.
- It’s very cool.